Long Island's Gold Coast
Mansion Listing and Info/Private
The following Mansions and/or Estates, are PRIVATE property, or limited access.
Oheka Castle Otto Hermann Kahn estate, built 1919-The name of Oheka comes from the first letters of its builder, Otto Hermann Kahn. It is the second largest private residence, next to Biltmore House in North Carolina, ever built in America. Situated on a high point in Cold Spring Hills, Oheka is an impressive sight as seen from Jericho Turnpike. In his quest to have his castle on the highest point on Long Island, workmen spent two years constructing an artificial hill. Otto Kahn, through a series of land acquisitions, bought 443 acres in what was then considered Cold Spring Harbor in 1914. On those 443 acres he would include his 126 room mansion, modeled after the Chateau Fontainebleau and other Norman castles, an 18 hole golf course, formal gardens, horse stables, greenhouses, a working farm, private airstrip, tennis courts, indoor pool, numerous superintendents houses and a gatehouse out at the entrance on Jericho Tpke. It took 126 servants to tend to the enormous estate. OHEKA was designed by Delano & Aldrich of NYC, and its landscaping was done by the Olmstead Brothers of Brookline, MA, famous for their work in designing Central Park, The Capitol Gardens in Washington, D.C. and Biltmore Estate, among hundreds of other landmark properties throughout the U.S. From 1914 to 1917 the man-made mountain was built. Construction on the mansion began in 1917 and was completed in 1919. Kahn built OHEKA to entertain and impress his notable guests, the likes of which included Fanny Brice, Helen Hayes, George Gershwin, etc. Heads of state, royalty and prominent members of the entertainment and banking worlds were wined and dined at OHEKA. Enrico Caruso sang in its great ballroom, as did Arturo Toscanini conduct there. Today the mansion is used for private functions such as weddings. The golf course, which was built by Otto Kahn, is now a private club, not associated with the estate. Much of the land which once comprised estate property, now contain private homes which also line the original drives to the mansion. The former gate house is now a real estate office
Web site: Oheka Castle
Oheka East facade.
Formal gardens restoration.
Winfield Hall F.W. Woolworth estate, built 1916-This former estate of the Five & Ten king, is a magnificent example of gold coast luxury. This 56 room Beaux Arts design mansion, is noted for its remarkable gardens and statuary. The marble staircase alone is estimated to have cost 2 million dollars! Other owners of this estate included Reynolds, of Reynolds Metal Co. Although not open to the public, one can glimpse the estate while driving along Crescent Beach Rd. in Glen Cove.
Winfield Hall South facade.
Winfield Hall Neptune Statuary.
Knole Herman Duryea estate, built 1902-Still privately held, this estate in Old Westbury has managed to maintain its grandeur while remaining one of the few still individually owned gold coast mansions.
Woodward Estate William Woodward estate, built 1927-Site of one of the most sensational Long Island murder cases, this estate is now owned by a religious institution. In 1955, Mrs. Woodward shot and killed her husband, claiming she thought he was a burglar. Although acquitted of the murder charge, some people still doubt the innocence of Mrs. Woodward. The case was the subject of a book and television movie, The Two Mrs. Grenville's. Once a structure whose main purpose was recreation, this estate included an indoor tennis court, now used by the church as a storage area. Today, its long driveway, lined with Rhododendrons, is a residential street with houses constructed along its length, but still culminating at the front of the mansion.
Ormston House John E. Aldred estate, built 1910-Now used as a monastery, this 40 room mansion is reminiscent of an English country estate. Situated atop a sloping hill, it commands a magnificent view of Long Island Sound. J. E. Aldred constructed this estate at the same time, and adjacent to, the former W. D. Guthrie estate, Meudon. Aldred and Guthrie were both friends, who together purchased the town of Lattingtown. They then demolished all of the homes and businesses in the town to create their estates. Although Lattingtown no longer exists with a town center, there are some remnants of its history. The original Latting House, for whom the town was named, still remains today and is privately owned. Ormston is still in good shape, but Meudon has been demolished and replaced with private homes.
Mill Neck Manor Robert L. Dodge estate, built about 1925-Now utilized as the Mill Neck School for the Deaf, this mansion is open and accessible to the pubic once a year during the school's annual apple festival.
Web site: Mill Neck Manor School
Salutations Junius Spencer Morgan estate, built 1929-Junius was the grandson of J.P. Morgan, and built his estate adjacent to his father's in Glen Cove. After the death of Mrs. Morgan, the mansion and its contents were sold. Today the mansion is privately owned.
Templeton Dupont/Guest estate, built 1916-In 1916, businessman, inventor, and philanthropist Alfred I. du Pont commissioned architect Thomas Hastings of Carrere & Hastings to design his new Long Island residence.
Du Pontís White Eagle, as the neoclassical/Georgian mansion situated on almost 300 acres in Old Westbury was then called, was completed in 1918 and cost $1.1 million. Two years later, Mrs. du Pont, the former Alicia Bradford Maddox, died unexpectedly. After Du Pont remarried, he sold the estate in 1926 to Fredrick E. and Amy Phipps Guest, who renamed the estate Templeton.
When Amy Phipps Guestís parents gave up their Fifth Avenue residence in Manhattan in 1928, she renovated her Old Westbury home. The entire marble entry hall and stairs of the Fifth Avenue residence was dismantled stone by stone and moved to Templeton. The newly installed grand staircase led to 13 classic European country-styled bedrooms and parlors, originally designed by Charles of London and today as used as NYIT offices.
Mr. Guest, Winston Churchillís first cousin, was the grandson of the seventh Duke of Marlborough. Mrs. Guest stayed on at the estate after her husbandís death in 1937. Upon her death in 1959, the mansion was left to her son Winston Guest, a well-known international polo player. In 1972, New York Institute of Technology purchased Templeton from the Guest family and named it after the famous Russian aviator, Alexander P. de Seversky, a member of the NYIT Board of Trustees who was instrumental in the acquisition.
Today the mansion is the De Seversky Conference Center.
Contacts: Anthony Baffo, Sales Manager 516-686-7675
Web site: De Seversky Conference Center
La Salva Frederick Wheeler estate, built 1918-The mansion is Italian Renaissance in design. The mansion grounds are the result of Olmsted. Today the estate is used as a monastery.
Oak Knoll Bertram Work estate, built 1916-Designed by Delano and Aldrich, this mansion which sits on a high point overlooking Oyster Bay, is privately owned.
The Braes Herbert L. Pratt estate, built 1912-Designed by James Brite in the Jacobean style. This is the largest of the Pratt mansions built in Glen Cove. The name Braes is Scottish for "hillside", and a notable landscape feature of this estate is the terraced grounds facing Long Island Sound. Now houses Webb Institute of Naval Architecture.
Web site: Webb Institute
The Braes today.
Inisfada Nicholas Brady estate, built 1916-Designed in the Tudor/Elizabethan style by John Windrim for businessman Nicholas Brady and his wife Genevieve. "Inisfada" is Gaelic for Long Island. An interesting feature of the mansion is the exterior details. Among them, representations of the Zodiac signs, and various nursery rhymes carved out of limestone. After Mr. Brady's death, Mrs. Brady donated the mansion to the Jesuits in 1937.
Today the mansion is used as the St. Ignatius Retreat House, and welcomes visitors.
Web site: St. Ignatius Retreat House
Killenworth George Pratt estate, built 1913-Designed in the style of an English Manor by Trowbridge & Ackerman for George Pratt, this is one of the many Pratt estates left in Glen Cove. Today the mansion is a retreat for Russian diplomats.
The Chimneys Christian Holmes estate, built 1930-Much of this mansion's structure was transported from England, and rebuilt in Sands Point. Today the mansion is used as a community center.
Web site: The Community Synagogue
The Chimneys today.
Chrysler Estate aka/Forker House & Wiley Hall Henri Bendel estate, built 1916- Originally built for Henri Bendel, this estate was subsequently acquired by Walter Chrysler in 1923, and finally by the U.S. government. Today it is part of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.
Web site: U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Idle Hour (Dowling College) Wm. K. Vanderbilt estate, built 1901- The existing mansion was built by Vanderbilt to replace an earlier mansion which had burned down in 1899. Today the mansion is Dowling College. The college has a great web site which recounts the history of Idle Hour, along with photos.
Web site: Dowling College