Home                

History

Public Mansions

Private Mansions

Mansion Ruins

Mansions on the Silver screen

Field Trips

Related Books!

Send us a Message

Mailing List

Forum

Live Chat

Weddings

Events

Links

 

 

Long Island's Gold Coast


Mansion Listing and Info/Public

The following Mansions and/or Estates, are open to the public.


Old Westbury Gardens Phipps estate, built 1909-Arguably, the best preserved Gold Coast mansion and estate. The house and grounds are open to the public, and is administered by the Old Westbury Gardens Foundation. The mansion was designed in the style of an English manor house by George A. Crawley. The gardens were inspired by Mr. Phipps' English wife Margarita Grace, and are reminiscent of traditional English formal gardens. As a Long Islander, you would be remiss in not visiting this sight. Whether your interests are in architecture, history, gardening, or just a stroll in a peaceful setting, this is the place. With 100 acres, including rose gardens, walled garden, and pond, there is much to see to fill a day. Not to mention the 70 room mansion with antique furnishings and art. 

Web site: Old Westbury Gardens 

Rear view of Westbury Gardens


Coindre Hall George Brown estate, built 1910- After coming very close to demolition, this mansion alongside Huntington Harbor, is making a rebound. Marked by two towers on the front facade, this mansion is based on a French chateau design. The estate also contains a boat house of similar design. After the 1929 stock crash, Mr. Brown lost the estate, and it went through a few changes in ownership. As a school, an addition was added to it, among other changes.

Coindre Hall now houses the Museum of Long Island's Gold Coast, which features exhibits, photography and other artifacts from this unique and splendiferous era.  The mansion is also a popular site for weddings, holiday celebrations, fund-raisers, auctions & antique shows.  

Web site: Suffolk County Parks

Coindre Hall estate.

Photo courtesy of Ken Thalheimer.

Coindre Hall boathouse.

Photo courtesy of Ken Thalheimer.


Coe Hall William Coe estate, built 1921-More commonly known as Planting Fields Arboretum, this State Park is known not only for its Botanical collection, but also the summer concerts which are held here every year. Designed by Walker and Gillette, this structure is a combination of Limestone and Tudor-like detail. The main drive entrance is notable for the Carshalton Gates, originally created in 1712 for the Carshalton Park estate in England. The gates were purchased by William Coe and transplanted to Coe Hall. Mansion tours are also available. 

Web site: Planting Fields Arboretum


Caumsett MarshallField III estate, built about 1922-Now a State Park, this is a nice alternative to the usual park outing. Bicycling along the paved drives is a favorite pastime here. The land, comprising 1750 acres, was purchased by Field in 1921. The Georgian style mansion was designed by John Russell Pope. Unfortunately, an entire wing of the mansion was removed by Field's wife in the Fifties. In its hey-day, Caumsett was a working farm and dairy, and a self-sufficient community. The estate also boasted polo fields, stocked game hunting, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, and a dock for Field's yacht. 

Web site: Caumsett State Park


Hempstead House/Castle Gould Howard Gould, Daniel Guggenheim estate, built 1901-1912-Now part of the Sands Point Preserve. Hempstead House, designed by Hunt and Hunt, is designed as an English castle. Originally built by Jay Gould, it was later acquired by Daniel Guggenheim. Castlegould, originally the stables, is based on the design of Kilkenny castle in Ireland.

Web Site: Sands Point Preserve


Falaise Harry Guggenheim estate, built 1923-Harry was the son of Daniel Guggenheim, from whom he received the property to build this estate. The mansion is in the Normandy-style design. Mr. Guggenheim was very active in the field of aviation during its early years, and his close friend Charle Lindbergh wrote his book, We, while staying here. Among Guggenheim's many accomplishments was the founding of Newsday. The mansion is now part of the Sands Point Preserve.

Web site: Sands Point Preserve


Clayton Childs Frick estate, built 1904/1919-Originally owned by Lloyd Bryce, this estate was later sold to Charles Frick, who altered and added to the estate. The landscape design was one of the most noted in America. Among the landscape design is an unusual teak trellis situated in the formal gardens. The estate now houses the Nassau County Museum of Art.

Web site: Nassau County Museum of Art

Childs Frick estate


Eagle's Nest William K. Vanderbilt II estate-Deeded to Suffolk County upon his death, this Estate is now the Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium. Designed by Whitney Warren, one of the architects of the original Grand Central Terminal, this mansion is of a Spanish Mediterranean design. The most prominent feature is an arched entrance tower which leads to the central courtyard. The estate still houses much of Mr. Vanderbilt's original possessions and private collections. A trip to this estate is a true museum experience.

Web site: Suffolk County Vanderbilt Museum and Planetarium

An entry detail at Eagle's Nest


Welwyn Harold Pratt estate,-This estate was just one of the many Pratt estates which formed the Pratt compound in Glen Cove. Although some have been demolished, the remaining estates are still in use in one form or another. Harold Pratt was an avid Horticulturalist, and this site has some of the best collections of trees. The estate grounds are open to the public as a nature preserve. The sight of the massive, straight Tulip trees, once used by native Long Islanders to build canoes, is worth the trip alone. Although the mansion, and the surrounding outbuildings are deteriorated, it only serves to add to the mystique of a long gone era. The mansion now houses The Holocaust Memorial and Education Center of Nassau County.

Web site: Nassau County Parks

Rear view of Welwyn


Chelsea Benjamin Moore estate, built 1923-Now part of the Muttontown Preserve. This mansion is unique for the moat which surrounds it. The cobblestones used around this mansion came from the Chelsea section of Brooklyn, which is where the mansion name comes from.

Web site: Muttontown Preserve

Chelsea view from pond


Hillwood E.F. Hutton/Marjorie M. Post estate, built 1921-Now part of the C.W. Post College. 

Web site: C.W. Post College

Hillwood view from the rose garden


Glen Cove Mansion (formerly Harrison  Conference Center) John Teele Pratt, Sr. estate, built 1930- This is yet another of the numerous Pratt estates which occupied a large portion of northern Glen Cove. The Mansion is a hotel for the public's use too, along with the Pub 1910 Restaurant, which is also open to the public.  The Mansion welcomes the public, does fabulous weddings, special events, and is wonderful for leisurely weekend stays for couples, etc.

Web site: Glen Cove Mansion

Manor House today.